Friday 17 February 2012

Song a Month: B-side 1


B-side 1: Untitled Bomb the Music Industry! cover

(If you haven't yet read about my Song a Month project you can do so here. And make sure you read about January's song in this post.)

I've decided to include a few "B-Sides" in this project. These will be things like covers, or re-workings of old songs or anything that doesn't quite fit. (It's my project, my rules, so these could all be pretty subjective.)

The first of these is a cover by one of my favourite bands, Bomb the Music Industry! This is not the song I talked about in my last post, though maybe I should do a cover of that sometime too. I don't know what this song is called. As far as I'm aware it doesn't have a name. It's the hidden song on their most recent album Vacation. (You can download the album, and all BTMI! albums, from that link via donation. However the bonus track is only on the CD version, not the download.)

As I mentioned last time, BTMI! songs often resonate with me, and this one definitely does at the moment. Something I've been enjoying recently is going for bike rides along the river while listening to music. This was recorded live after returning from one of those trips. I plugged my guitar into a little Marshall MS-2 battery powered amp and used my phone to record as I played while looking out off our balcony. Simple, lo-fi and effective. Inspired by the way the original sound, and a test to see how recording something like this would sound. I really like the way you can hear both the "acoustic" strums of the actual strings on the guitar and the sound coming out of the shitty little amp as well. I don't think this style would be effective for February's song, but it's something that may have worked well with January's.

Speaking of February's song, the music is all written. I have the seeds of a lyric idea, but it still needs a lot of work. And I'm going to attempt some drums for this one too(!).
We've also been working on a new Death by Death Ray track which is about 90% done now too, so I might have something to post for you on that front soon as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment